I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

- de Tocqueville 1831































Saturday, November 20, 2010

With Out a Net; Will You Still Respect Me.

It has been a year and six months since I first started this blog. I now have seven people who are not ashamed to say that they follow me (the seventh is my best friend who I quilted into following) and three more who comment regularly. I have loved sharing with you who read all my opinions and ideas.  I especially love the give and take we have in the comments section.  Thus said,  for reasons I don't care to discuss I will no longer have my wife edit my blog.  When the idea of writing a blog first hit me (between the eyes,  yes it did hurt) my wife told me that with my lousy punctuation and inept spelling I would not garner respect,  I may not get respect even with a well edited blog,  was my comeback.  I find writing difficult,  it does not come second nature to me although it has been good for my own personal growth and my typing has improved. 

I write this to ask you dear reader if I should continue writing my blog?  It is with some trepidation that I continue.  The written language is not one of my strengths. 

I am not above fishing for complements,  so tell me what it is you like about my blog if anything.

If you like the commentary on this blog than I recommend Atomic Pop and The Water Cooler,  both kindred spirits of mine and astute commentators.

6 comments:

rocslinger said...

See, Already I've goofed. I somehow highlighted where I didn't want to and I can't figure out how to change it.

Is this Kharma?

goddessdivine said...

First, thanks for the shout out.

My thoughts are these: Just do what you want to do and what is comfortable for you. If you are worried about spelling, use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer; they always underline misspellings. I personally care most about content; and I am usually able to get through your comments on my blog w/o need of a Urim and Thummim. ;-) Since you've mentioned your struggles with grammar and spelling, I can look past that.

Angela said...

I'll keep reading if you keep writing. :) Since I don't know you personally, I suppose the commentary is more interesting to me. It's nice to know that someone out there "gets it".

Nightdragon said...

I'm lazy in commenting, Roc, but I enjoy your blog. If you, ah, would forgive me for saying so, you do use the wrong forms of words occasionally: "their" for "they're", and the like. But hey, I screw up too. I'm very slightly dyslexic and I have a real penchant for typing "a" when I mean "I." I always have to edit my entries before I post them!

I like your blog because I agree with you most of the time, and even when I don't, you give me a different perspective that I value, even if it doesn't change my mind. Keep your blog; don't let it go! I'll keep reading.

rocslinger said...

Thank you, thank you and thank you,

Dragon, I know, and when I think I've got the their, there and they're bussiness down I find that I've screwed them all up still. Does the English langauge have to be so dang difficult?

Miss Devine, Do you have a spare Urim and Thumin? I bet it comes in handy when grading term papers;)

Angela, I do "get it", Now how do I get rid of it?

The Atomic Mom said...

Thanks for the linky-loo. :) I can't say much on grammer and spelling. I failed at both most miserably.