I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

- de Tocqueville 1831































Sunday, August 22, 2010

Senior Moments

Senior Moment #1:
 I received my paycheck yesterday at 4:30 a.m.  I came home at 7:00 a.m. and proceeded to do some chores around the house.  Not until 2:00 in the afternoon did I remember my paycheck, at which point I had lost track of it and I am furiously looking for it.  When my wife sits at her computer at 9:00 p.m. that night and pulls out the keyboard tray, the check show up, sitting right on the corner.  Why said check was there?  No idea.  I don't even recall being in that vicinity.

Senior Moment #2: 
Because we are in the process of moving from a townhouse into an apartment, we have to downsize from a king size bed to a queen in order to fit into a smaller bedroom.  We had a Select Comfort queen size bed stored away in our crawl space.  Yesterday, I was bringing up the bed to check on it's usability.  I found all the parts except for the remote controls used to control the airflow into the bed.  Normally, at this point, I would call my wife to ask if she might know where it is but this time I decided to take the initiative.  I searched the crawl space and the area where I had laid out the bed and even the boxes that the bed had been stored in.  I couldn't find them anywhere.  When my wife got home she, of course, finds one.  We continue to search for the remaining remote for the next couple of hours until we give up because I need to get some sleep before I go to work that night.  While I'm sitting in the bedroom, I finally take a look at the remote my wife found and realized that this remote has controls for both the left and right sides of the bed.  I call down to my wife and ask her if, perhaps, there is only one remote for the bed.  She gets this exasperated look on her face as she calls up that yes, perhaps that is the case.

So, there are some questions that come to my mind.

Should I be glad that I'm not the only one in the family having these senior moments and that I shared an endearing experience with my wife?  Or should I be frightened that I can't always rely on my wife to save me from myself?

Should I be concerned that these two senior moments ran concurrently or does it mean that I may be "moment free" for a longer period of time?

Is it possible that the AARP cards that I have been getting in the mail are not a mistake, but rather an omen?

I am SO looking forward to the second half of my life.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh out loud (I will not write LOL, in case you are too much a senior to get it ;-) (Sorry, couldn't resist))
I think I have a senior moment every morning. Either keys or purse has mysteriously removed itself from the place, where I put it the evening before.
I am sure your senior moments will come more often with time. Whoops, that was no comfort!

goddessdivine said...

I have senior moments all the time. Technically my life is only like 1/3 complete. Does my brain really have to suck for the other 2/3?

rocslinger said...

Sharp Tongue, I have seen that lol thing, thanks for clearing up that little mystery.;-) If I ever need a shoulder to cry on....I'll go some where else, nothing personal.

GD, there will be moments of clarity, enjoy them as fleeting as they may be.:-)

In the interest of full disclosure both my wife and daughter are blonde but mentally I'm the true blonde of the family.

Anonymous said...

Rocslinger, I really like your sense of sarcasm :-)
By the way, I just dyed my hair, so it's even brighter. When I came to work, I had to call for male assistance (something I couldn't lift myself) - and my wonderful colleague laughed at me and asked: "Do you also have to ACT blonde?"

Barbaloot said...

I'd blame senior moment number one more one the fact that you got your paycheck at 4:30 a.m. than on aging. I don't think I could keep track of anything that early!

rocslinger said...

Barb,
Good point. Perhaps I can excuse myself on any number of things since I work nights.

Kerri said...

Gee, Love, looks like a lot of people can relate to your Senior Moments. Just to make things clear - I rarly have them. I swear.....

L3 said...

Welcome to my life, which mostly consists of Senior Moments.
Just came across your blog. LOVE IT. I am a news junkie, depression fighting LDS soul, too. But, I am able to be more optimistic about our political situation -- perhaps because everyone around me seems to be doing all the worrying. I work at BYU with Army ROTC and I have great faith in the future of our nation, and rising leadership.

L3 said...

PS My favorite Glen Beck-ism is the term "prostitot" for little girls dressed up like hoochie mamams. I'm a grandma, and it galls me to see little girls dressed like that.

rocslinger said...

L3,

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.

You sound much like a kindred spirit.

I remember trying to find clothes for my daughter when she was 5 or 6yrs old, we couldn't find dresses modest enough. Thankfully my sister was able to sew some really nice ones.