I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

- de Tocqueville 1831































Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Please Stop Trashing My Ethics.

I hate litter. I find it hard to think well of anyone who can drop trash while within 50 feet of a trash can. I throw Frisbee's to my dog in an area we refer to as The Bowl (it's an indented lawn area in our townhouse community). There is a bus stop on the east side of the bowl where people waiting for the bus find no problem dropping their trash into our bowl area. I spend ten to fifteen minutes just picking up trash every time I take my dog out to play. It rankles me to no end the disrespect these seemingly callous bus riders show to me and my neighborhood. I now have a dilemma and it is this: Recently, I had a job at a truck stop where part of my job was picking up trash. I find it easier picking up trash when I'm paid for it. In fact, I find it's my zen moment (a simple mindless task I can do while zoning out and thinking of the higher meaning of life or, in actuality, what I'll eat for lunch). Ethically, I think it's irresponsible to litter but would I have had a job if no one littered in the truck stop? Imagine how many jobs would be lost in a society where no one littered. This got me thinking. What if we lived in a world where people took responsibility for themselves and respected one another? We would have no need for the police. Security guards would go the way of the dinosaur (a job that I currently hold). Where would a good portion of America's wealth come from if our weapons manufacturers had no reason to build weapons? If neighbors were to take care of their less fortunate neighbors, what would a whole army of welfare workers do? Speaking of army, what about the armed forces? How would they feed their families if they were not paid to defend our country? Do you see what a moral dilemma this train of thought has brought me to? I would like to see the elimination of the negative elements of society but what will I and others do for work? Perhaps we need the liberal ideology of the authoritarian taking care of people less capable so that we can all have a place in society.


I have a confession to make that I am not at all proud of. Since I lost my job in October, my family and I have been on Medicaid and food stamps. I feel somewhat the hypocrite being on the dole and preaching the negatives of big government. It gives me pause to think that I might be wrong about the attributes of smaller government and the bettering of the individual. Could it be that when drawn out, we as a society need our less than desirable elements to function? Could it be that we need a central authority to manage our lives, to make sure that society does not crumble from its own success?


Before you think that I've exchanged my "dark side" membership card for a more "enlightened" vision please read on:


What I have presented to you in the preceding paragraphs is what is known as a false dilemma. If there were no litterers, people who now spend time picking up trash would be freed to pursue greater interests. If there was no reason to build bombs, if there was no need to drop bombs, buildings, homes, and lives would not have to be rebuilt. If we did not need police, security guards, armed forces, welfare workers, etc.... There is no telling the potential that would be unleashed in the pursuit of positive, constructive and life affirming achievements by those who are freed from the need of having to protect society.


Time and time again we have been warned that modernization would cost us jobs and swell the ranks of the unemployed. Henry Ford put most buggy whip manufacturers out of business but spurred on unprecedented economic growth. I remember hearing how computers and robots were going to create havoc in the nations labor pool. The unions were so frightened by this that they fought against modernization of any kind for years. In case you haven't noticed, robotic systems and computers are everywhere and we have had low unemployment rates throughout the eighties, nineties and into the twenty-first century.


If this is not yet an axiom, than I will claim it as mine. Only positive results can occur from the elimination of negative influences or the positive achievements of man; thus saith Rocslinger.


Consider the fact that archaeologists find civilizations buried underneath one another. Most societies are dragged down from their greatness by the erosion of morality and the growing influence of a selfish and corrupt population. Each time there is a downfall of a civilization, the next one has to start from scratch. Imagine if there were no downfall; if we could continue from generation to generation going back for thousands of years? Is it possible that we might be a star faring race by now; or that we would know so much more about the human genome that we could unlock greater potential in ourselves (maybe I wouldn't be fat, old or balding; I'm just saying.......)?


False dilemma's are a politician's bread and butter. Beware the man that tells you there is a crisis and an immediate need for your money. Or the man that says you need to change your behavior to save the planet, especially, if he's unwilling to set the example. Look out for a president that says that we must totally dismantle our health care system, right now, or millions will continue to suffer. If we want to continue to be a great nation, we must train ourselves to look past the immediate and consider what unintended consequences can be wrought by responding to the false dilemma's so often presented to us by those who's motivation is less than stellar.

7 comments:

Angela said...

You had me there for a second. ;) I love your conclusion!

Randi said...

You are SO right! I don't know why I let myself get caught up in those false dilemmas. But I DO! Argh.

All I want is to live my life without the government regulating every aspect of it.

Is that so hard?

rocslinger said...

Randi, It's the tug on the heart strings. We are a caring people and we want to be helpful. What we do as private citizens is much more affective than government intervention.

Kerri said...

Whoa! For a minute there I thought I was married to a complete and utter liberal. I was really, really scared, Hon.....

JennyMac said...

I like your honesty and forthright nature.

rocslinger said...

Thank you Jenni Mac and welcome to my blog

rocslinger said...

Oops, Sorry about misspelling your name. In the interest of full disclosure, my wife edits my blog without her help I would not look so "brilliant":)