I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

- de Tocqueville 1831































Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pardon Me, But May I Brag On My Daughter?

 If you have read my blog for any length of time, you would know that I am very proud of my daughter.  Below is a poem I just found on her website.

Butterfly Depths- story-intro 


A rose.  He is closed, the petals tight.  But as days pass, slowly he widens.  He is a wheel now, blood-red and beautiful.  Simple form, but it is elegant.


A butterfly.  She flutters her wings and lands on the rose, still.  Her wings are partially opened, and partially closed, a midway between the two.


A noise.  It rocks the rose, and the butterfly flies away.  The rose is alone again, but he knows that a butterfly will come soon.


For though butterfly depths are small, they make a great impact.



She's thirteen.  I can only imagine how well she will write when she has gained some of life's experiences.

Here's another poem:


Texas Update: Homesick Poem

The world passing,

Just a blur.

Tears I cry,

Never have cried before.



There may be beauty,

But I'd never know,

Because the ones I love

Left now for more.



But a blue sea white with foam,

Past the forest, under the gold,

Through the desert, beyond my know,

That's not close to how far I'll go.



Cold skies gray with rain,

Golden sunshine just cries pain,

Though a heartbreak I do hold,

The way is clear; I must go.



Tomorrow, maybe, will be the day

I make my way home.

No more tears, no more fears,

Tomorrow, maybe, I'll be home.



I'm a tad biased, so if you agree that she is talented, you could go to her blog and encourage her.  I'm sure she would appreciate it and it might keep her off  the streets as she grows older.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, you may brag - even brag loudly! These poems are great, just keep encouraging her :-)

goddessdivine said...

Definitely keep encouraging her. It's nice to see a teenager who a) likes to write, and b) is pretty darn good at it! Good writing skills will serve her very well.

Barbaloot said...

She's just 13?! That is amazing. And good for you for bragging about her. Every child needs that from a parent:)