I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

- de Tocqueville 1831































Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Daughter; I Love Her But I Just Don't Understand Her

Rachel is a very smart child who makes her parents proud ninety percent of the time and utterly frustrated the other ten percent. Her grades in school have slipped this last trimester and we (and by we, I mean my wife) have had to be on her all year to keep her grades up. If it was because she was being lazy and slacking off I could understand it (I wouldn't condone it, but I could understand it). It's the kind of student I was at her age. Well, no, not exactly. She does the work. She spends hours going through a mountain of homework most nights and the teachers all say that she is an exceptional student in the classroom. She does not do any sub par work. The reason her grades have slipped is because she somehow forgets to turn in her papers, even those she does in class. The last three weeks have been rough both on her and on us (and by us, I mean mostly her mother, which in turn upsets me, "'cause if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"). Most of her teachers have given her extra credit work in an attempt to bring her grades up. Not because her grades are poor but because she does A+ work but would be bringing in C's and B's if not for my wife's determination. My daughter is a nervous wreck with just three days left of in the school year.



I just don't understand how this can be an ongoing problem. How can you put so much time and effort into your work and consistently not turn it in? My question to the three of you who read this blog (actually two since my wife is not allowed to comment on this post) is how do I help her next year?

1 comment:

Angela said...

My kids are still young so I don't know what I could offer by way of advice. My 8 year-old is super smart but forgets to turn in his work too. Perhaps I'll be asking you those same questions in a few years. :)