I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

- de Tocqueville 1831































Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Leap of Insanity

Okay, my first post. So many thoughts went screaming through my head when I imagined putting this blog together but now, in reality, all thoughts have abandoned ship and left me to drown.

Let me try to put together the reason why I want to write this blog. First and foremost I am concerned for this country. I wish to add my voice to the discussion of what I believe is important in the political arena of ideas. I want to inform those who may not be the political junky that I am. I am willing to engage with anyone who is willing to discuss current issues thoughtfully and respectfully.

With this blog, I want to go beyond the veneer of the instant words of political operatives and their immediate actions to explore future consequences as well as the motive and method involved.

I am an unabashed conservative. What this means is that I believe in the individual, that the government is a necessary evil and best when kept as small as possible. When President Obama stated that the government was the only thing that could bring us out of this economic crisis, I could not have disagreed with him more. In fact, it was the interference of government combined with the greed of a certain few that created this mess in the first place. I believed President Reagan when he stated emphatically that government is not the solution, government is the problem. This is one of the issues I will go into further detail on in later posts.

No comments: